- Junior Calypso Finals: The Junior Calypso Finals competition takes place during Grenada’s largest annual national festival, Spicemas. It is a developmental program that celebrates the art of calypso and is designed to showcase the young talented performers who may become rising stars in the profession.
- Children’s Carnival Frolic: Children’s Carnival Frolic is a Festival designed for the younger generation of Grenada, ranging from the ages 3 to 16. It embeds all the elements of Mas and pageantry, designed specifically to facilitate the kids.
- National Queen Show: National Queen Show is where the beautiful women of Spice Island shine. The National Carnival Queen Show is the stage where Grenada’s young women compete for the title of ‘National Carnival Queen’ in costumes, evening gowns, and cultural performances.
- SMC Groovy/Soca Monarch Finals: International Soca Monarch is an annual soca music competition/fete event, the finals of which are held on Carnival Friday. The contestants in the event compete for two separate crowns or titles, the Soca Monarch (aka the Power Soca Monarch) for uptempo songs (135 bpm and above), and Groovy Soca Monarch for slower-paced songs (134 bpm and below). The Soca Monarch competition has become one of the most anticipated events for Grenada’s Carnival over the years.
- NLA/SMC Panorama: Ten bands go steel for steel, in a bid to capture the title of Panorama Champions.
- SMC Dimanche Gras: Dimanche Gras is French for Great Sunday and is the title of the main carnival event in Grenada called Dimanche Gras Night. On Dimanche Gras which is carnival Sunday night, the calypso competition and the King and Queen of the Bands are held. It is a spectacle to begin the carnival on Monday morning (J’ouvert).
- J’Ouvert: J’ouvert is a large street party held annually as part of Carnival in many Caribbean islands and in areas where Caribbean peoples have immigrated. J’ouvert is likely a gallicization of jou ouvè, the Antillean Creole French term meaning “dawn” or “daybreak”, as this is the time at which the festival is typically held.
- Fancy Mas’: Fancy Mas’ also known as Pretty Mas’, is a parade in which male and female masqueraders of all ages dressed in beautifully designed costumes by local and foreign designers and they’re accompanied by Traditional Mas players such as Short Knee, Wild Indians, Viecorps and more. On the Monday Masqueraders competing in the Fancy Mas competition, parade in their costumes or traditional wear, from Melville Street to the National Stadium (Kirani James Athletic Stadium), making their way across the stage, whilst being cheered on by spectators and evaluated by the judges.
- Monday Night Mas: Monday night mas is a parade of lights, held in Grenada West Indies on Carnival Monday Night where spectators gather on the streets of St. George’s entertained by thousands of masqueraders enjoying themselves whilst dancing in the streets to some of the local Soca music, in their neon and brightly colored garments, lighted hats, wands and led lighting instruments.
For more information, contact the Spicemas Corporation.
The people of Grenada make the Spicemas experience memorable and enjoyable with their warm hospitality and visible pride in their music and culture.
#jabofficial #jabgang #grenada #473 #jab #jabculture #jabnation #grenadaairbnbs #jabjab #carnival #carriacou #puregrenada #spicemas #spiceisle #greenz #jouvert #caribbean #grenadacarnival #labordayparade #soca #caribbeanpeople #NottingHillCarnival #grenadavacationrentals #jamaica #trinidadandtobago #trinidad #stlucia #socamusic #stvincentandthegrenadines #westindians #grenada🇬🇩